Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Priorities and Pain!

Last week was a very tough week of training. It was a "build" week. Coming off the previous weekend of 50 miles on the bike and 15 miles of running, I was tired. Monday - Thursday was great. 2600m swim on Monday. Strong Trainer session and Strength on Tuesday. Swim / Run on Wednesday...Day off on Thursday.

My boys from LA - Sam and Robb - came in on Friday and I know my weekend training would suffer. I fit in a 30 minute ride on Friday. Friday night was drinks and partying. Saturday morning was very rough. I was down in Bonita Springs at the Condo and when I woke up...with cobwebs...it was 46 degrees out. I had my bike but summer cycling clothes...

I limped down to my car, hopped on my bike and headed North to Fort Myers beach. My hands literally froze in the aero-bars and my feet felt like bricks. At about 12 miles I warmed up a bit. At 20 miles, I felt pretty good...at 30 miles the guilt hit that I had left my buds hanging. So - I ended the ride at 34 miles which was close to 2 hours (windy conditions)...I did a 25 minute transition run which felt great.

Coach Angie was bummed as I was supposed to go 2.5 - 3 hours and 50 miles. This was a build weekend. I definitely screwed up but I have to try not to beat myself up. Saturday night was the AFCAAM benefit. More drinking and partying. Went to bed at 2 AM and had to get up at 5 AM to get the boys to the airport. It was at 7 AM that I started rehearsing my speech to the 11 AM and 5 PM masses at Blessed Pope John...More stress.

I got through the speech. I did okay. Nice comments from many of the parishioners and Father Bob himself. But I was exhausted.

So, the only think left to do on Sunday when I got home was go on a 12 mile run. I did in ~90 minutes and felt great...that same great feeling you get when you study all night for a test, do well and then just crash in bed.

This week is another big week as I get ready for Lake Louisa Escape from Florida. I did an awesome 2000m ladder on Monday. I did a great trainer session this morning and then strength training. Swim / Run tomorrow and then easy spins / runs going in to the race on Sunday.

Fired up to spend Valentines with the Family in Orlando...Seaworld!!! Then race on Sunday and then visit Mel's grandma after the race! So grateful that I can mix the family time with the race time and that Mel is so supportive.

Oh yeah...got my cool Lime Green Giro Ultimus helmet...My theory is that a lime green helmet will easily be seen in transition...We shall see. God knows I need help with Transitions!

No comments: