Sunday, February 1, 2009

Humbled but Hopeful

I had high hopes on Saturday morning. My first ride with my new Guru Crono alongside Team Geared Up - Angie, Greg, Justin and Kath. They are all experienced triathletes who regularly "dropped" me in road training runs when I was on my Scott Road Bike. I figured this time would be different with the "Black Beauty" cutting through the wind.

Not so fast!

Saturday morning. 38 degrees @ 7:30 AM. With 3 layers, gloves and leg warms, I set out with the group. First 10 miles felt fine. Held 19.5 mph. At about 18 miles, the group said, "see ya"...By mile 30, I was squinting to see them in front of me...By mile 40, they were gone...

As fate would have it, I forgot my running shoes so a return to the car and quick transition was impossible. So, with frozen feet and wounded ego, I decided to go another 10 miles home to change into my running shoes. 50 Miles on the dot.

I did a 3.1 mile transition run in 23 minutes. Felt good on the run but legs were toast yesterday.

Woke up early this morning. Saw the sunset. Ran for 80 minutes today - 6 passes over the Fort Myers Bridge and then a beautiful run on the FM beach...All told - about 10 miles. I was tempted to do an Open Water Swim but it was way too cold. So I bagged it, came home and ate like a pig.

I was a bit down yesterday. While it was cool to complete 50 miles, I can't stand to be THAT behind on the bike. My sense was that I probably would have been behind by about 5-6 minutes in a 56 mile race. I can probably make that up on the run. But for some reason, I felt like I was gonna be better / faster on the Guru...Maybe it was the wind and the cold...

Maybe I just need to manage my expectations and remember that this was my second 50 mile bike...ever...and I am biking with a 10-time Ironman...

Maybe I should lose the ego and simply enjoy the ride!

No comments: