Saturday, March 14, 2009

Monkey Off My Back - Sub 20 5K - PR!

I can officially cross off one of the goals I set for 2009.

GOAL: Go sub-20 in a 5k race. Done! Ran a 19:55 at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Estero. This morning called for an easy 2 hour endurance run but I got permission from my coach to run hard for 3 miles and then easy pace for 1:40.

Did the race with Mel and JJ. Mel said it best this morning...families that run together...STAY together. Mel went sub-35 and was psyched. She keeps going low. JJ posted a 36:01...Not his best. He was saving himself for a 2-hour Paint Ball birthday party that he attended this afternoon. Priorities!

He also had a very late night last night where the A's beat the Pirates 12-8...JJ goes 1 for 1...a BB and 2 runs scored...He also played flawlessly in the infield which was great because he had a tough game last Monday night. I stress to him that it is all about a "one game at a time...one AB at a time and one inning at a time..." We agreed that improvement was key in this game...He did awesome. Really into the game and focused.

Mom and Dad showed up and took care of Benjamin which was really nice. They were blow away by the 7,000 race participants. I came in 27th overall but still only 5th in my age group. I am fine with that...Couldn't have done much better than 19:55.
After my race, I ran back and ran in with JJ. He was chugging along...At about mile 2.5 he says, "I am hurtin' Dad"...I looked around at all the signs on the backs of these women cancer survivors and runners who are running in support of family / friends who have lived and survived bouts with cancer. I starting thinking about the nagging ache in my ankle...out of no where, I said, "This is nothing John...try sitting in a chemo-therapy chair for an afternoon...that's hurtin"...
To those 900 survivors who ran in the race today. I salute all of you. I have no idea what you had to go through but I know it was not easy. I have always feared cancer...how it creeps up on you and can't be controlled. How the chemo-therapy eats away at healthy cells. How surgeries have to be performed to remove tumors. Some day this country will get its priorities straight...we will "shoot for the moon" and cure cancer...That's my prayer anyway!

1 comment:

BAM said...

Great job Gambino - you have come a long way since July 4, 2008!