Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stomach Flu - Sucking it Up!

I don't get sick very often, but when I do...well, it sucks.

Limped through Monday with stomach issues. Got through the Monday recovery swim work-out and then all hell broke loose. Literally. Up all night. Just terrible.

On my back all day Tuesday...No trainer session, no strength training. Not myself on Wednesday so I did not go to Swim/Run work-out.

Felt better on Thursday and had a great Swim work-out as follows:

- 500m WU
- 500m Interval session
100m at 1:40s w / 20 sec rest

- 500m Tempo swim in 9:00 / 20 sec rest

- 500m all out in 8:08 (blazing for me!)

- 200 cool

Felt great. Followed it up with a 37:30 5 mile tempo run.

Coached JJ's game that night. Lost to the Loser Marlins who have no class. JJ makes one of the best diving catches in foul ball territory that I have ever seen. He keeps getting better and better.

Friday and Saturday was the Gateway Member Guest golf tourney. I played with Timbo. Shot a ho hum 77 onFriday. But sucked on our last 9 holes. Rode 15 mile in 21 MPH on Saturday morning @ 7 AM; then played better in the tourney. Came close but fell short; placed second place in our flight. Had a case of the "waaaaaaaas" on Friday which I hated. Had intermittent pity parties when I hit bad shots.

In any tourney, no matter what the circumstances, it is all about a shot at a time. Every time. No excuses. I don't play enough to spazz out mentally on the golf course. I really wanted to win and if we played a little better, we would have won...but mental dereliction on the golf course is unacceptable.

Finished the weekend by getting up this morning and running the Hooters to Hooters Half Marathon. What a race! Ran it in 1:35:39 which is less than a minute off my PR. It would have been a PR if it were not for the huge bridge spanning the Caloosahatchie that we ran over and back on Mile 7-8. Ran a 7:18 pace which was much better than expected.

Came in 30th overall out of 550 runners. Pretty good for still not feeling myself...

This week is all about getting Melissa ready for her feat - the Princess Half Marathon @ Disney.


No comments: