Monday, November 24, 2008

100K on the Bike and Wiped!

Yesterday was a great training day on the bike. I did the Caloosahatchie River Ride which was a 100 kilometer charity ride through the flatlands of Florida. That's 63 miles for all those who are metrically challenged. The distance was tough. The fact that it was 90% into the wind made it even tougher.

The Bike is my weakest link. I always thought that swimming would be my "achilles heel" but that seems to be working itself out. And I have been running consistently for 4 years so the run seems to be a strength. But for some reason, I can't seem to get my "bike legs" under me. I did the 63 miles in 3:45 with two 5 minute breaks at rest stops. At mile 55, I hit the wall and was begging my odometer to go faster!

Experienced friends and team members state it is all about "miles" - that I have to ride for miles and miles and miles before I become comfortable on the bike.

Speaking of being comfortable on the bike. Huge Props to my man Brian Melekian. He finished IronMan Arizona in 10:09! He passed almost 1,000 people on the 112 mile bike route. Here are his amazing splits:
Swim: 1:16:30
Bike: 5:06:54
Run: 3:37:20
Overall: 10:09:48
Rank: 171
Division Position: 23

171st in a major IronMan Event! Insane in the Membrane!

No comments: