Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Hero!

No Doubt about it. I could qualify for Kona, The Boston Marathon or the US Open; but nothing would make me as proud as I am for my son JJ!

Yesterday, he was recognized as one of 10 4th Grade students at Canterbury to receive straight "A's". But wait, it gets better! He also won the "All-around Academic Achievement Award" which is bestowed on the Number 1 student in his class. WOW!

The coolest part was that he accepted the award with a "ho hum" humility that has come to characterize JJ's personality. He expects to do well academically. He loves to learn. He loves to read. He loves science and social studies and language arts. He is unbelievably curious. He respects the authority, influence from his teachers.

Our family has moved around a lot. DC, Malibu, Santa Monica and now SW Florida. I have often felt stressed about my hectic work and training schedule, and what that could do to his growth and development. I am grateful that Mel has really been the "rock" to keep us all together. I feel so blessed that JJ is so grounded and so connected to his academic life. He is a winner...a humble and grateful winner...

What a role model...

1 comment:

Beth Gamba Buday said...

Hi John -
BA here with Janelle. We loved your pictures and we're excited about JJ's accomplishment and can't wait to meet baby Benjamin. Can't wait to be in FL in a couple days. Love you, BA