Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Great Bike Debate

Analysis Paralysis.

As a sub-5 handicap competitive golfer, I know the importance of "equipment"...shafts, grips, weight, look, feel, shape, length, grooves, flange, loft, custom, stock, stiff, super-stiff...I analyze each aspect of every golf club in my bag. I literally have hundreds of hybrids, drivers, irons, wedges and putters in my garage. My latest set is a cutom made, custom fit, private labled set from Wissot Golf - a custom club maker out of Colorado. I love em.

But the recent "rounds" I made at the local bike stores made my analysis of golf clubs look like a quick visit to the 7-Eleven to choose between three brands of light beer...Bud Lite, Amstel Light or Miller Lite Chill? Price, Calories, Taste...Bud Lite!

I mean, c'mon.

I am extremely excited by the prospect of purchasing a Tri bike...but I am completely overwhelmed by all the decision and price points. There's frame and wheels and componentry and brakes and stem position and turning radius and aero position points...

It appears that a 56 inch frame would be best for me. I have ridden various sizes and componentry of the Cervelo, Guru, Trek and Specialized. The Specialized versions felt "rigid", "tight" and aggressive. I did not feel as though I would be comfortable for 50 or 112 miles on a Specialized Transition. The Cervelo P3c and P2c felt "good"...nice ride...responsive...smooth...My Tri buddies want me to join the Cervelo "Mafia"...

The Guru Cron felt the "best"...Like Butter...Like I was riding "in" the bike vs. "on" the bike. Is it possible that a bike like that can give me that much better of a feel? The problem is that the bike is $1,000 more than the P2C and I did NOT want to spend $6,000 on a tri bike.

The other issue is that some of my coaches and Tri buddies believe that a stock bike is more appropriate for where I am right now with triathlon...that a custom fit should come later...when my body is more developed to thrive in the aero position. I love that I can "design" the colors of my Guru.

So it comes down to the Cervelo P2C with Dura Ace Componentry...Or the Guru Crono with the Ultegra UL componentry. I will get a professional fit with both...I would go with Black / Green on the Guru. Not in love with the look of the Cervelo. I am not a "red" nor a "white" bike kind of guy...I like the gray color on the Cervelo. Definitely will go with black tape...

I am leaning toward the Guru Crono. But I will likely go down and ride both one more time.

No comments: