Saturday, December 13, 2008

GURU 4 You...

So after some painstaking Due Diligence and a great deal of stress...I pulled the trigger. I stepped up and purchased a custom made Guru Crono with:

- Ultegra SL Gruppo
- Bontrager Carbon handle Bars
- Bontrager Aero handle Bars
- Bontrager Race Seat
- Bontrager Race Lite Wheels

I rode several Cervelos, Specialized, Orbeas and Treks. I researched everything I could find on various sets of parts and components. After consulting with experienced triathletes, my coach and some acomplished bike fitters, the Guru Crono emerged as the obvious choice. The decision came down to quality of the frame, overall feel, the custom fit, overall comfort and most of all, the incredible service I received from both Guru corporate and the Trek Bike Store in Naples, FL. Mark Cesal at Trek and Robert Pinazza at Guru walked me through the entire process - from the difference in frame-sets to benefits of certain componentry to the facts surrounding custom fit vs. stock bike. They make a great team. Check them out here:

http://trekbikesflorida.com/index.cfm

http://www.gurubikes.com

As a new but committed triatlete, the custom fit and the quality frame was worth the extra expense. I have a longer torso and I am still working to get more flexible and "aero"...The Guru Crono fits me perfectly now...but there is adaptability and "room" to get more "aero" later. Perfect.

I also like that Guru is a family run business. They manufacture everything on their Canadian campus vs. many competitors who farm manufacturing and assembly out to China. Guru incorporates unbelievable quality standards that make the bikes last longer and ride better. Here is a great "making of" video of the Guru Crono:

http://www.gurubikes.com/2.0/enEU/tech-focus/making-of/

I appreciated how both Mark and Robert listened to my goals, my concerns and my (sometimes stupid) questions and responded to them with knowledge and conviction. There was no arrogance or vagueness in their responses. They also never denigrated the other bikes on the market or took advantage of my inexperience...they simply outlined why the Crono and the custom fit approach would work better for me.

Overall, I spent more on this bike than I was hoping to spend. But I see this as an investment vs. an expense. I will be up to 160-200 miles per week on the bike very soon as I get ready for New Orleans 70.3. I will put more miles on this bike than I put on my car. I am serious about triathlon. I am blessed with some financial stability. I felt a marked difference when riding "in" the Crono.

So I pulled the trigger. I have a great fit, a quality bike and two advocates in Mark and Robert who I can turn to in the future for all my bike needs. Great feeling. Peace of Mind!

No comments: