Wednesday, December 24, 2008

T-Bart's Swim Challenge...

T-Bart gave me a killer swim challenge

2 mile jog - warm-up to the pool.

400m warm-up stroke choice.

Then, 20 x 100m in under 2:00. Then, "go again" at every 2:00 interval.

So, I did the first 100 in 1:28; so I had 32 seconds to rest and so on. I did the next three 100s in under 1:35 and the next 4 100s in under 1:40 and then things got really tough. I started going into anaerobic oxygen debt and began to breath very hard.

I had to take an extra 2 minute rest after the 10th interval and then again after the 15th interval. But I made it through it and then I did a 200m cool down.

I give myself a C+ for the results but an A for effort.

At about the 1800m stage, I entered what BAM calls the "Pain Cave." The last two 100s were particularly tough. Each averaged 1:45 with 15 seconds of rest and each challenged me to keep my form.

I jumped out of the water, quick transition and then ran home - 2 miles in 15 minutes.

I keep thinking about these master swimmers who have perfected the Total Immersion swim approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_f6DTGJ78&feature=related

They look so fluid and relaxed. I felt this way for the first 3-5 intervals today...and then I tend to retreat back to slashing the water and losing my form.

T-Bart says that those who can finish the Iron-Man swim in less than 60 minutes could do this 20x100 drill in 1:45 intervals....I'd like to see where I am in about May of 2009. I would like to be able to do the 20x100 in 40:00 without going in to oxygen debt.

Excited to take a day off on Christmas!

No comments: