Thursday, January 8, 2009

Make Up Your Mind!

Two of my favorite running races are scheduled over the next 10 days.

First is the River, Roots and Ruts Half Marathon. Beautiful drive out to Alva, FL at dawn. 8 AM start. 55-60 degrees at the gun. 100% trail running including several single track switch-backs where we run over BMX and motor-cross tracks. Very technical race and sometimes dangerous. In the last two years, I have seen several finishers come in with bloodied knees and twisted ankles.

Definitely NOT a PR course.

That's me in the gray tank - number 51 at the start of last year's race. Last year I completed it in 1:46 (8:10 pace). I believe I was sick and on a serious dose of DayQuil. But I finished in 2nd in my age and podiumed. This year, 1:42-1:45 would be nice. 7:45-8:00 Pace.

This is where the conundrum comes in.

I want to race as hard as possible and podium, but not too hard where I get injured. My normal Sunday runs have been 11 miles @ 8:00 Pace and I have felt pretty good...My coach is begging me NOT to over-do it on Sunday because I have stated that I want to PR next week in the Naples Half Marathon.

Love the Naples Half. Perfectly flat. 2000 runners. Down-town Naples. Great finish. Mile 8 is in front of an Episcopal Church where we get "blessed" by a priest who showers us with holy water...Great weather. Very festive. Awesome atmosphere. Naples is a PR course...I did 1:37 in 2007 with T-Bart. I trained hard for that race and 1:37 feels a bit daunting. To beat that, I need 13 consecutive 7:30s and then a strider down the stretch.

Coach Angie believes that if I go as hard as I have this week, bike hard on Saturday and then run hard on Sunday, I will be toast. She has me "recovering" next week in anticipation of Naples.

I told her that I did not necessarily want to PR in Naples at the expense of my training for New Orleans 70.3. That's when she says, "C'mon John! Make up your Mind!" She gets mad at my indecision. Do I want to get my PR and prevent injury in running...or train smart and peak in New Orleans at the 70.3 half IronMan?

I of course want it all now! Podium this Sunday at R,R&R Half...then train hard next week...then PR at the Naples Half; I want to stay strong and injury free...

So what do I do? I will hold back a bit on Sunday and agree to an easier regimen next week. I'll go hard in Naples and hope for the best. I know that these hard, long runs have a way of making me a stronger runner...if I am smart and listen to my body...

Race hard. But be smart!

No comments: