Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year - 2009 Goals

I've always been goal-driven. But I never want to get overly consumed by "hobby-goals". Triathlon has taken over in terms of my free time focus and I am very serious about some day qualifying for the World Championships in Clearwater and for Kona, but let's face it - this is still a hobby. I want this year to be more about "fun" and "learning" and less about pressure and compulsive pursuits of goals that may or may not be achievable.

I have no idea how my body will respond to a 70.3 or a full-Ironman race. I am still overwhelmed by the mystique of finishing an Ironman. Who knows what will happen with injuries or burn-out or outside influences (family and work obligations). Who knows whether my body (or my mind) will respond on race day. I know I have serious anticipatory anxiety for any big event - major business presentation, dental work, even the last 2 Sprint triathlons...I love the rush and the action and getting through the nerves. But who knows!

At the same time, I don't think I should spend the 8-15 hours per week doing this without having some basic goals to pursue. So here they are, not in the order of importance:

1. PR in January in the Naples Half Marathon - 1:37:54

2. Go Sub 20:00 in any 5K (Current PR = 20:09)

3. Finish IronMan New Orleans (70.3) in under 6 hours

4. Finish IronMan Louisville in under 12 hours

5. Age Group Podium in one Triathlon that I enter (this is very aggressive!)

6. "PR" on how much $$$$ I can raise for good causes through my training ($3500 after the Marine Corps. Marathon for Hope Runs),

If I miss on Goal Number 5, a back-up goal would be to place 1/2/3 in one of the three events in any triathlon. I've gotta shot at this in swimming and running...but the Bike may continue to hold me back a bit.

Other "in-tangible" goals include:

1. Always be coachable. I wanted to keep my annual string alive and run a marathon in 2008. I did NOT based on the advice of my coach. She stressed "base training" in late 2008 and to avoid injury. I wasn't ready for a marathon. I must continue to be coachable.

2. Improve on transitions. I shouldn't be lame with transitions...practice, practice, practice...

3. Neutralize my bike weakness. This may not emerge as a strength...yet. But I want to eliminate any sense that it is a weakness. (Good start with the purchase of the Guru Crono).

4. Never let triathlon training and "Hobby Goals" get in the way of what's really important in my life - Family, Faith and "Balance".

There's some exciting races on tap including the River Roots and Ruts Half Marathon next week and then the Naples Half in 3 weeks. I then have the Escape from Lake Louisa Olympic distance triathlon in February. And then the Hooters to Hooters Half Marathon in early March.

Then, the BIGGIE...New Orleans 70.3...

So lots of cool races ahead. Here's to a safe, exciting and eye-opening 2009!

No comments: