Thursday, January 29, 2009

Guru Crono Arrives - Black Beauty!

Six weeks after being fitted by the great Mark Cesal from the Trek bike store in Naples, my new Guru Crono has arrived. It looks incredible. All black with florescent lime green logos. Lime green tape. Black saddle.

To summarize, I went with the Bontrager carbon handle bars, Bontrager race lite wheels, Bontrager saddle and Ultegra SL Gruppo. I love this bike.
I took it out on Saturday on its maiden voyage and boy what a difference! The first difference is the vibrations. Somehow this bike picks up vibrations almost as if there were shock absorbers on the bike. Next is the feeling I get in aero position. It just feels "right"...like I am "in the bike" vs. "on the bike." Third is the acceleration at about 20 MPH...with any tail wind, it feels as though it accelerates must faster than my old Scott Road Bike. But most importantly, it holds speed much better.
My normal 40 mile bike is usually 18 MPH depending on the wind. On Saturday, I did it in 21.1 MPH with heavy wind conditions. I had a little more head wind but not much more. And the best part was my legs weren't shot when I got off the bike. I did a transition run (5K) in under 22 minutes.

This bike gives me a whole new set of confidence. I feel with hard work and more miles, the bike will soon be a strength, not a weakness. I feel as though a 20+ MPH bike (56 miles) in New Orleans is definitely possible.

I did another 40 miler today in under 20MPH due to wind. I would say there was a head wind for 30 of the 40 miles. Stayed in aero for 95% of the ride. It was hot today as well...88 for most of the ride...which is good as I know it will be blazing in Louisville.

Mile Swim test yesterday after an 800m warm-up...Did it in 26 flat with no anaerobic bursts...Felt great...that's tracking for a 31 minute half Iron-man so long as I don't flake on the siting. Followed that with a 5 mile interval session on the track.

Strength tomorrow. 42 Miler on Saturday with a TR of 3 miles. Open Water swim in the ocean and 10 mile easy run on Sunday...

Training hard as I head in to Lake Louisa on Feb 15.

No comments: