Sunday, May 31, 2009

10,000 Meter Swim Week

Impromptu decision to step up my swimming this week. I have never done 10,000 meters in a week.

Sunday - 1,500 meter open water swim
Monday - 2,000 meter work-out with 1,000 meters of intervals
Wednesday - 3,000 meter work-0ut followed by track work
Friday - 3,500 meter workout with 1600 meters of fast intervals

Best part was that I tested myself with a 100 meter "fast" swim at the end of the interval work-out on Friday. I did it in 1:19 which is about as fast as I can go.

Focusing on the bi-lateral breathing and "short" breaths where one eye stays in the water. Also working on my flutter kick, good body rotation and keeping my core strong through the stroke. I know that I have a ways to go with my form, but I am feeling stronger in the water and my cardio continues to improve. I like the mix of the 25 yard pool I am in with the team, the open water swims and the 25meter pool in my neighborhood.

Good track work-out on Wednesday. 4 x 5:00 intervals on the track with 2 minute recovery. I did 1200 meters in 5 minutes which is about a 6:40 mile pace. Very strong for me. The last two intervals were killer.

Had a good 58 mile bike ride yesterday...Gateway to Sanibel to Fort Myers Beach to Naples. Three hours on the button. There are 4 bridges to climb which made it interesting. Mel picked me up in Naples on the way back from her Triathlon class...we are the all-American triathlon family! Who would have ever thought?

I am off to my 2 hour / 15 mile run. It's only 93 degrees out. Nothing like sweatin' buckets!

No comments: