Monday, May 25, 2009

...My Cake and Eat it Too

Birthday week. I turned 39 on Wednesday. That means on January 1, 2010, I will officially enter the 40-44 AG. Many people tell me that this is less competitive than 35-39...but I have my doubts. Just seems like both AGs are very competitive. Interesting that I will enter IronMan St. George, Utah as a 40-44 competitor on May 1, 2010.

Great week of training.

Monday was a good recovery swim of 3000 meters. Mixture of drills and tempo laps in under 1 hour.

Tuesday was a 75 minute bike trainer session and weight-lifting.

Wednesday was a killer swim / run session with 5 three minute intervals on the track with only 1 minute recoveries. I was dead on the 4th and 5th interval. The session was followed by a mini-party in my office (see above) with the greatest wife in the world and my two sons. Got some great gifts, awesome cards, cheesecake and Jelly Beans! The entire day was magical with birthday wishes from every area of my life...Facebook is crazy about facilitating the connections from Elementary school to former business partners to my triathlon team.

Thursday was a REST day! I needed it. Friday was a 30 minute bike ride and weight lifting.

Saturday was a 50 mile bike - constant - with a 22 minute transition run. Did another 7:15 mile off the bike and 7:20s for the next 2 miles. Huge improvement for me on the transition runs. Fired up!

Sunday was a VERY TOUGH work-out. 20 minute open water swim...swam through a crazy current. Then a 1:45 run on the beach. That was the longest run for me in a while. The temperature was 85 and no breeze. Ran close to 13 miles. Ankle held up but my legs were shot. Dead tired after that long ride on Saturday.

Today is a day or reflection. I give thanks for all those who serve in the Miltary and give selflessly to our country. I may do a quick tempo swim...but Angie has given us the day off which is nice...I may go swimming with JJ and Melissa. Easy recovery swim.

All in all...another good week of training and a blessed Birthday...

Excited about this upcoming week...we go away on Saturday for a super-long bike and run...the first of 4 trips to prepare for IronMan Louisville...

No comments: