Sunday, May 3, 2009

Random Questions

Training has been on track...some ups and downs with the ankle still a bit sore but some great transition runs in the 7:00-7:10 zone after 30-35 mile rides...I am looking forward to Siesta Key on Saturday morning...It will be my first true Olympic distance test. Love an Ocean swim and if the ocean is anything like it was today, it will be rough! And since they cut the swim out of St. Anthony's last week...I believe that the competition in this race will be stacked!

Here are some random questions that have come up in training these past few weeks:

1. Does breathing to the left and right in the swim make you faster?
Coach A. has stated that I need to learn how to breath on both sides...I am a natural "lefty" when breathing. I usually do 4 strokes then breath and 2 strokes when I am tired...She states that this is a "must-have" if I am going to excel at ocean water swimming where the swells may make same side breathing a challenge. As I have practiced this technique, I was very surprised at how fast I adapted...I am a little "lame" breathing on the right side, but I was able to get through 1000 meters without going back to the crutch of single side breathing.

I can't figure out if this is naturally better, faster and more hydro-dynamic or if it is simply better in the event that single-side breathing won't work because of the conditions...something feels more balance and fluid about my stroke but I can't put my finger on it...and I would never try this in my next race...because the "crutch" of single-side breathing has worked fairly well.

2. As a Cyclist, are we required to follow all traffic laws?
Do I need to come to a complete stop at stop signs? Am I allowed to creep through stop lights if it is all clear? I recently creeped through a stop light at an intersection and a guy in MY LANE drive next to me and said, "just cause you are on a bike doesn't give you the right to run through stop lights your F'ing Axx-hole..."

So - what is the official rule? I assume that I am technically supposed to follow the traffic laws but if I creep through, would a cop stop me and give me a ticket? Would love to know the basic guidelines here.

3. Does Upper Body Strength Training make you Faster?
I do lower weight, high rep. upper body work-outs twice a week. I focus on chest, biceps, tris and some ab. work. My coach supports this. I am feeling stronger and stronger and moving up with certain weights and exercises. But the extra 1.5 hours in the gym...twice a week is a becoming an issue with work and family time...especially with all the swim, bike and run work-outs. Is strength training really worth it? I know T-bart and Macray do not do anything in the gym. I think Coach Brian does some weight training...

As I thought about it, is there an argument that more muscle - even lean muscle -could actually DETRACT from triathlon performance. Note, I don't do leg training with weights because I am doing so much with swimming, biking and running...I feel this would lead to fatigue and maybe even burn-out.

When I see these guys who dominate at races...they all seem ripped and BIG...I assume they do strength training...but I wish I understood the science as to how it actually helps me with "speed"...and whether the 3 extra hours I spend per week in the gym could be better allocated?

Three random questions...

1 comment:

BAM said...

Good post, good questions.

1. Bilateral breathing is key to efficient endurance swimming. You may see the sprinters breathe to one side but rarely will you see a distance sprinter do it. Sighting and swells, sure, are compelling reasons enough to breathe to both side, but there is also the symmetry of your stroke. Get some video analysis of your swim and you will see how your lead hand probably drops during the breath phase. Breathe to both sides and work on this and you will improve. There is also more propensity for injury only breathing to one side.

2. Short answer: yes. You must obey all laws, legally and also for safety sake. You just have to. I have been on both sides of it. It is so tempting to roll through the stop, race the light, cut into traffic, get agro towards drivers, etc etc. But I have also been hit by 2 cars. And now I don't do that. And I don't get hit by cars. Disobeying laws only adds fuel to the fire. Take the high road.

3. Strength training - this is a no-brainer. It is 100% necessary. Don't do it and you are selling yourself short. It is imperative in the off season and imperative during the season to both maintain and to work on injury prevention. We as triathletes move in one direction - straight forward. Strengthen those supporting muscles, work on explosive and/or lateral movements and you will become a better athlete. Don't worry about size or weight. Your body will seek its equilibrium. Since I added strength training to repertoire, my speed has increased, weight has dropped and nagging injuries disappeared. Absolutely vital!

bam